The Comfort book: Sometimes a little hope is enough


Have you ever read a book at exactly the right time?
A book when you read, the words somehow landed differently?
The Comfort Book by Matt Haig was that book for me.
I happened to pick it up during one of the most difficult phases of my life, the untimely loss of one of my closest uncles.
And suddenly I was thinking about things I don't normally spend my days thinking about.
Life. Death. Time. The ridiculous amount of energy we spend worrying about things that may eventually mean very little. The people we assume will always be around. The plans we make as though life has signed some contract promising us a certain number of years.
Grief has a strange way of rearranging your priorities.
And yet, strangely enough, this wasn't a time when I wanted to read something profound about grief.
I didn't want answers.
I didn't want someone telling me to be strong.
I definitely didn't want to hear that everything happens for a reason.
I just wanted something that would sit quietly beside all those thoughts without trying to solve them.
And somehow, The Comfort Book did exactly that.

This Isn't Really a Book You "Read"

At least, I didn't. There is no plot to remember or argument to follow. It is a collection of tiny reflections, stories, lists, quotes, memories, and observations about life.

Some are a few pages. Some are barely a paragraph.

And I think that is part of its charm.

You can read three pages before bed, stop at something that makes you think, and close the book.

No guilt about finishing the chapter.

No five lessons you must implement tomorrow morning to become a better human being.

Thank goodness. We have enough of those. :)

If you follow my Instagram stories, you have probably noticed that I have been sharing quite a few excerpts from this book lately.

I couldn't help it.

Every few pages I would find something and think, "Wait. I need to remember this".

Well, if my grandfather was alive today, he would have written those excerpts in his diary as it is, like he always used to do with something meaningful he read. 

As for me, some thoughts touched my heart. Some made me question things. And some made me look at ordinary life just a little differently.

One line I kept coming back to was:

“Nothing is stronger than a small hope that doesn’t give up,” which was repeated several times in the book

I love the word 'small' there.

Because we often imagine hope as this big, inspirational thing. Sometimes it isn't.

Sometimes hope is simply getting through a difficult day and believing that tomorrow might feel slightly different.

Sometimes that is enough.

And Then There Was the Caterpillar...

One little piece in the book particularly stayed with me. It is simply called Caterpillar.

We usually think of a cocoon as this peaceful place where a caterpillar quietly transforms into a butterfly.

Except, as Haig points out, the reality is far less beautiful.

Inside the cocoon, the caterpillar essentially falls apart before becoming something new.

And he leaves us with this:

“We go through the dark to fly in the sun.”

I stopped at that one for a while.

Maybe because there are times in life when you are too deep inside the darkness to understand what it is doing to you, or what life might look like beyond it.

I don't think every painful experience needs to become a lesson. Some things simply hurt.

But I found something quietly hopeful in those few lines.

And perhaps that's the beauty of this book.

It says just enough…and leaves the rest for you to think about.

Hope Without a Lecture

This is probably my favorite thing about Matt Haig's writing in this book. He gives you hope without giving you a lecture on hope.

He doesn't ask you to wake up at 5 a.m., meditate for twenty minutes, write ten things you're grateful for and become the most positive version of yourself before breakfast.

He simply says, in different ways:

Yes, life can be incredibly hard, but it can still be worth living.

There can be grief and laughter in the same week. Sometimes even on the same day.

You can miss someone terribly and still enjoy your cup of chai.

You can be worried about the future and still dance to a song you love.

You can have unanswered questions and still notice a beautiful sunset.

One doesn't cancel the other. And maybe that is something we forget.

We Keep Waiting for Life to Begin

This book also made me think about how much of our lives we spend waiting.

I'll relax after this project.

I'll travel when things settle down.

I'll call them tomorrow.

I'll start dancing again when I have more time.

I'll enjoy life once I have figured out work, family, money, health and the approximately seventeen other things currently occupying my brain.

Except…

When exactly does everything settle down?

There is always another deadline. Another responsibility. Another problem waiting patiently in line.

Meanwhile, the supposedly insignificant things keep happening.

Someone makes you laugh.

Your child tells you something completely unexpected.

A friend calls.

Your favorite song comes on while you're driving.

The chai tastes particularly good that morning.

Nothing extraordinary happened.

And yet…

that was life. And not the thing we were waiting for. 

Maybe That’s Why This Book Works

You don’t have to be grieving to read The Comfort Book. You might be overwhelmed, uncertain, going through a difficult phase, or simply in need of a little perspective.

This book doesn’t give you answers. It gives you little thoughts.

You keep some. You forget some. And occasionally, you find one that follows you around for the rest of the day.

That’s why I think it belongs on the nightstand. Read a page or five. Open it randomly. Close it when something makes you pause. Come back whenever you need it.

The Comfort Book hasn’t answered the questions I’ve been asking lately or made grief disappear.

But it has reminded me that alongside the difficult parts of being alive, there are still people to love, books to read, songs to hear, dances to dance, cups of chai to drink…and completely ordinary days to live.

Perhaps that’s why this book found me at the right time.

It didn’t try to give me answers.

It simply gave me a little comfort.

And sometimes, a little hope is enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Goddess Within: Mental Health Reflections Through 9 Days of Navratri

Ten Years, One Dream: Lessons from My PhD Journey

The Safety Pin of Love: A Lesson in Grief From My 9-Year-Old