Memoirs of my grandfather

Dear Daddy,
  It has been a year since you left us. I don’t know where to start this, but recently we visited India and stayed in your room. It was a very weird feeling when I first entered into your room. I could still feel your presence and aura. It was a rollercoaster of emotions for me since I never saw your room and the house so deserted, especially with you not being there anymore. Every night when we were about to sleep and I saw your picture, it felt like you were so happy seeing us, especially Nishka. I had so many fond memories about you while I was there, like once you came to pick me up from a late class at the coaching center without telling me, but I was already at home watching T.V in mom dad’s room. You came back in panic but were so relieved to see me (also scolded me for not waiting for you, as if I was having a dream that you were coming to pick me up!). Once you got my favorite vegetable, bhindi (okra) from somewhere in winters when it was not even the season, just because I was returning from hostel for vacation. 
We used to have arguments on practically everything, from politics to religion to career to relationships, and sometimes they got a little out of control as I was both amazed and irked by your strong opinions and preconceived notions on everything. You called me a ‘Rebellion without a cause’ leading my gang of cousins on my baseless ideologies. But the beauty of it all was that we sorted our differences every time over a cup of chai just after a few hours. Such was my sweet and sour relationship with you. 
During those days when you were healthy, hale and hearty, you created a bustle by starting arguments with everyone at home or even outside including mom, dad, chachu, chachi, cousins, neighbors, servants, security guard (you just name it!), as if it was your favorite pastime. It felt uncomfortable and disrupting at that time, but now when I think of it, it was a mere means of you to connect to everyone emotionally, and fill up that caveat which the passing of badema left in your heart, not to mention that it created a bitter sweet bond between other family members as well. This time the house was eerily silent without your authoritative, loud and crisp voice echoing all over. 
You were so encouraging and supportive towards our careers and other talents, that I sometimes felt that I made you more proud than my very own parents in every front. 
You had such a vibrant and strong personality that these words are not enough to describe you, although it is an irony that we have so much to talk about a person who is unfortunately not amongst us anymore, when we could say so much more while he is still alive. But, one thing is for sure, that you must be having a ball in the heavens by starting arguments with every Tom, Dick and Harry and then gauging for their reactions on your statements 
Love you and miss you always
Softy…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have We Become Productive Machines? The Battle of Productivity and Mental Well-being

Breaking the Chains: Unraveling the Ties Between Mental Illness and Substance Use for a Healthier Future

Embracing the Odyssey: Revel in Your Journey, Celebrate Your Triumphs